As of currently, there are over a 1.2 million apps in the app store and thousands of new ones every month. This make it harder for the average app developer to make money compared to several years ago. The largest competition is in the game app market. Many developers spend loads of time focusing on app development and little time with marketing. In my opinion, this should be in reverse. Marketing should demand most of your attention.
Ideally, a developer should start marketing months before releasing your app. Marketing should be in three stages pre-release, development stage, and post-release. You still need to have a good app but don’t neglect marketing. However, if your app is released and you missed those three stages, then don’t feel despair. Here is a list of 7 ways to give your app greater exposure and downloads.
1. Start with your friends. Get as many friends, coworkers, neighbors and school mates as possible to download your app. Perhaps they may be kind enough to write a review too. Positive opinions attract many more to download your app. Word of mouth is the single best marketing strategy.
2. Enter your app in contest like Best App Ever Awards or App Design Awards. Entering contest gives you great exposure and make it easier for bloggers to notice you. If you win a contest it’s also great exposure to promote on social media.
3. Reach out to bloggers and reporters. Bloggers are a great way to get extra exposures. You can reach to bloggers through social media and by using attention grabbing headlines. One easy way to reach reporters is through Haro or helpareporter.com which is a great way to connect reporters to the hottest stories.
4. Try cross promotion with other app developers. If you can find another app developer with a similar category app you can work together with other developers to cross promote each others apps.
5. Develop and give out post card size advertisement of your app. Some of the places you can give them out are store fronts like game-stop stores or your local grocery store. Ask the manager if they mind leaving your post cards at their store.
6. Use Fiver to promote your app. There is a lot of talent located at fiver.com that can write blogs about your app or promote it through social media.
7. Finally, another great way to promote your app is to make a series of trailer videos. You can get software like Squirrels reflector or can hire someone to make a trailer video for you. Trailer videos are a great way to get free traffic for your app. For instance, the app enemy dawn receives much of its downloads from trailer videos. The important thing to remember is that marketing is a ongoing process.